Joint Development of New Cooling Box Dedicated for Specialty Pharmaceuticals
May 7, 2019
In recent years, a greater number of products with high medicine fees, bio-pharmaceuticals, and cell and gene therapy (CGT) products (hereinafter, “specialty pharmaceuticals”), for which changes in temperature and exposure to impacts should be considered, have been distributed in the market. The Company aims to achieve the quality of distribution that meets strict requirements in accordance with the GDP guidelines by launching the new cooling box for transportation and delivery of pharmaceuticals from logistic bases to medical institutions and pharmacies.
The jointly developed cooling box dedicated for specialty pharmaceuticals uses a new vacuum insulated case (VIC)1 and heat storage material2 developed by Panasonic. By building the product as per specifications based on the Company’s know-how and expertise in the distribution of specialty pharmaceuticals, the Company believes that it has been able to provide the following solutions with regard to issues faced by the healthcare industry in cooperation with Panasonic:
Features of the new cooling box and solutions provided by the box with regard to issues faced by the healthcare industry
1. Adoption of new materials makes it possible to maintain a constant temperature in the box for a long time, which enables transportation of specialty pharmaceuticals to distant locations and stable operation in cold climate areas
- Preventing the risk of freezing due to supercooling
- Improved quality of pharmaceutical distribution and reduced loss of disposal of pharmaceuticals
2. Use of the special heat storage material enables year-round stable operation that is not affected by changes in the outside air temperature depending on the season or region Improved quality of pharmaceutical distribution and reduced burden on logistics personnel
3. Adoption of new materials retards deterioration of heat insulation performance over time
- Reduced investment costs
4. Transmission of electrical signals is ensured to enable an increase in the affinity with IoT
- Improved quality of pharmaceutical distribution and improved working efficiency
5. Reduced weight of the cooling box
- Reduced burden on logistics personnel
Besides the traceability system Cubixx® that uses this cooling box and IoT and RFID technologies, the Company will consider possibilities of establishing new services to resolve issues faced by the healthcare industry through further cooperation with Panasonic.
1 The vacuum insulated case (VIC) is a vacuum insulation material with a structure that houses a three-dimensionally formed “core” member and vacuum packed in a gas-barrier outer cover material. Forming the core member and outer cover material into a three-dimensional shape reduces the number of seams on the heat insulation material, making it possible to manufacture a cooling box that minimizes cold air leakage. Panasonic has applied for a patent for this vacuum insulation material.
2 The heat storage material is a phase-change material that uses the latent heat generated when the material changes from the solid to liquid state or vice versa, and generally refers to a material with a melting point that is higher than 0° C.
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. The company, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of 7.982 trillion yen for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: www.panasonic.com/global.
The Company expects that this matter will contribute to improvement in the corporate value of the entire group in a medium- and long-term perspective, although it will render a minor impact on their short-term performance. The information will be disclosed at an appropriate time if the need arises for the disclosure in the future.